Sunday, April 29, 2012

RIR w/ BUBBA Burger & JTG Daugherty: Only Driving would have been closer.

As a Fan I got my socks knocked off at the Richmond International Raceway Sprint Cup Race and I gotta thank BUBBA Burger and JTG Daugherty Racing for that. I like to think my little niche in Fan Reporting is going places and relaying about what Fans don't get to see but want to see. I think being in a Sprint Cup Pit Box is where we all dream of standing and I got to so let me tell you a little about my day and the awesome time I had.

I met up with BUBBA Burger and Jamie Sakin who's BUBBA Burger Cruiser was loaded with Shirts, Hats and all kinds of Swag to give away to race fans. We headed out loaded like pack mules with back packs laden with BUBBA Booty and headed over first to some friends Sharon & Shannon at the Air Force #43 display who I know from "The Out-Field Gang" a Facebook NASCAR Fan Page. They invited us back for a swearing in of Recruits and it was such an Honor to be standing there as a General led them through THE OATH.  Jamie was the first to share much BUBBA love with not only the new Recruits but the Veteran Air Men thanking them for thier Service and Sacrifice.

Next we got the call these two BUBBAs were going to get to meet Bobby Labonte and the JTGD Team and I'm thinking "Great! we're headed down to the track to help them tune the Car or something cool like that. Nope! I was wrong they were doing something way more cool. They picked us up in a Cart and we zoomed back to the Driver Camp Ground to pick up Mr Labonte who was finishing up shooting a clip for TV but I won't be a spoiler and tell you what it was about.

Once Ms Jennifer the Team PR Director could got us all pointed in the right direction we were off to visit and speak to some amazing American Wounded Service people. During the trip through the winding camp grounds I had a little time with Bobby and we talked about Race Fans Past and Present and I asked does he see any difference? As we rode in the cold rain of the day he looked out and said "You see those people out there in that freezing cold rain? I'm not sure I would do that just to see me. I think we have the best Race Fans ever in this sport".

We got to the track and went right up to the Suite Brad K. and his Checkered Flag group who had about 60+ fioks they had hosted for the day at the race. Brad was signing autographs so Jamie and I started handing out swag and much BUBBA Love to these great guys and gals while Bobby Labonte shared his warm affection and support. They all wanted to hear Bobby speak so he told us everything from being bored racing at Texas to what to expect to see in that night's race. There were some great questions in his Q&A Session and he must have signed a zillion autographs like a true Champion. Thanks for being such a great example Bobby.

Jamie and I were introduced and I got to speak to these great American Heroes how I felt about them and how our Country felt about them. I let them all know how very Proud of them we all are and that our collective hearts go out to them but, our hands also go out to them for support or to left them up as well. I told them what they had given to me and to us all with their Blood, Sweat and Tear selflessly I wanted to applaud so I did and the next thing I knew so did the whole room. Thank you Lord for words I never prepared for that you gave me. Jamie and I spent a good long time talking with men and women of every Branch of Service about NASCAR, BBQ and BUBBAS and signed a bunch of Programs and swag and had a great time. Thank you American Moms & Dads!

Next thing I knew it was getting close to Race time so with the HOT Pit Pass JTGD hooked me up with off to Pit Road I headed. Ok, I stopped for a quick cold beer before hitting Pit Road cus they don't want Drinking and Driving. But I digress. We stopped by the SPEED Stage where 100+ folks got some Shirts and Hats we supplied to our friends at SPEED and folks were showing their BUBBA Love right back!

Pit Road is more alive during HOT Pit Road time which is 1 Hour Before a Race till 1 Hour After a Race which makes sense cus hey there's a Race going on and all the Fans are in place. I found my way to the JTGD/Bobby Labonte Pit Box and met up with Team Owner Tad Geschickter and his friends I had met earlier. After that I stepped back to get out of the way but Tad had none of that and got me a Head Set and Radio and pointed to a spot in front of the Pit Box just behind the Wall. DO WHAT? Really? This is a Fan's Dream I thought to myself.

As I stood right next to the Jack Man Mike Klien who is like their QB and must work out like an animal in his Fire Suit I was thinking two things: "This is awesome standing here so close as a Fan!" and "What the heck am I doing standing so close without a Fire Suit as a Fan?!". There is not an Inch closer a Fan could ever be to NASCAR without a Fire Suit and what I got to see at that Race. I mean, I mean there is 100 times more action, work, thinking, adjusting this Team was doing and it was like clock work around me.

My Radio told me we were getting close to a Pit Stop and I saw Mike put on his Helmet, Grab his Jack from next to me and give me the look of "You don't want to be around here" at which point I retreated to a much safer spot to watch these guys Pit Service Bobby's car. Wow! How do they do all that in 14 seconds is a wonder but it was wonderful to get to see so close. No sooner had Bobby sped out of the Pits and the Gas Man Jimmy Watts safely secured the Gas Cans Tad was flagging me to get beck in my spot on the Wall.

Getting to watch a Race like I did from the Wall between a Jack Man and Rear Tire Changer and being treated like a welcome Team Member as a Fan I will always remember and treasure. So to Tad and his Wife and Bobby Labonte and all the great folks at JTG Daugherty and to Andy & Jamie and all the great BUBBAS at BUBBA Burger I want to thank you for a Fan's dream come true... and please invite me back.


And as always Thanks Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment