Sunday, April 8, 2012

Get Well Soon to the Great American Hero: Junior Johnson

We heard news this week the NASCAR Hall of Fame Driver/Owner Junior Johnson was hospitalized and that sure is sad because he is such a Great American Hero. He has an infection he needs to get cleared up so he can have the surgery for a Pace Maker. I could go on and on about Mr Johnson quoting amazing NASCAR statistics but heck you can look them up on yer own. What to learn about a Driver that drove on the beach at Daytona and got 50 Wins and 6 Championships by all means Google "Junior Johnson".

What I know about Junior Johnson comes from hearing NASCAR Legend Crew Chief and now SPEED Commentator Jeff Hammond talk about becoming DW's Crew Chief. Just about the entire Team had left Junior and Jeff was bold enough to walk in and tell Junior Johnson he was the man for the job and Junior being smart enough to know he would be. History proves them both were correct.

But what I really know about Junior Johnson came from meeting him and spending just a few minutes talking like two ole boys will do over some BBQ Chicken. I was in Daytona for the 2010 Speed Week when we got the call to cook BBQ Live on National TV for Fox & Friends for Junior Johnson, Michale Waltrip, Carl Edwards and a few other. When Mr Johnson arrived I know I was next to NASCAR Royalty and I'm not one to be star struck but I was. Maybe Jeff remembers Junior being more hard but when I met him he was soft spoken Southern Gentleman from his handshake to the twinkle in his eyes.

So I don't have a great racing story to share about Junior Johnson just a day sharing BBQ Chicken some stories about the old school NASCAR days with a Great American Hero.

Get well soon Mr Johnson and I'll have BBQ ready any time you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment